2 Min Read
Winning the lottery or buying a new car or house would definitely boost our mood.
But there’s something you can do every day to feel great and it doesn’t rely on luck or large amounts of cash.
It’s fitness and, for all of us who don’t relish the idea of getting hot and sweaty, or finding time to actually do exercise, it is possible to build a habit that we love, and it doesn’t have to be boring.
If you can work up a sweat dancing, running, taking a spin class, going for a hike in Nature, or even riding a bicycle, you can boost feelgood endorphins that combat anxiety and depression.
One study showed a 26% decrease in the odds of becoming depressed for each major increase in physical activity.
- Diary a minimum of 30 minutes a day of activity like you would any appointment and mix up what you do.
- Enroll in a class to help increase motivation, or get an exercise buddy.
- Work out in the morning to avoid after-work excuses.
- Get your exercise in 10 minute “bites” … think about a morning jog or cycle, a lunchtime walk, jumping jacks or dancing in your living room … but make it accessible and make it fun.
- Practice like tai chi or yoga to still your mind. It’s easy to do at home.
- Try some water therapy. A quick plunge in the ocean, or a pool, every morning will do wonders to increase your feelgood factor.